Sunday, January 11, 2015

UFOs?

My local Quilt Shop is starting a UFO challenge for 2015.  To a quilter, a UFO is an UnFinished Object, not an Unidentified Flying Object! To start the challenge, you determine how many unfinished projects that you actually have, compile a list and turn it in to the store.  Then, starting in March, every time you finish a project, you take it into the store, show it to them and pay $1.  If the project is meant to be donated to a worthy cause (Like my RWB raffle quilt for the convention!) you pay $5. Then next January, they will total the amount that you’ve paid, match your amount dollar for dollar and return the total to you in the form of a gift card to the store!  Woo-hoo! Sounds like a win-win to me!

So yesterday, I started searching the house for projects that I haven’t finished.  You may think it’s weird that I have to search for them, but there is a logical reason.  Really, there is!  Every Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, family birthday, etc., my sewing room has to turn back into the dining room. And then I have to move the sewing machine off the table, put the ironing board away, and pack up the projects I’m working on.  I put everything in a very logical place... which I can never remember.  So it happens more often than I care to admit that I find bags or plastic bins full of quilt blocks and fabric and the pattern the NEXT time I’m putting things away!

Yesterday, I started spelunking in the basement and the corners of my sewing room.  I found 28 quilts in various stages of completeness.  Ten of them are completed tops that need to be quilted and bound, 4 just need borders, 9 are in the “I’m just a collection of blocks” stage, and I’m actively working on four of them. So, let’s see, next January, I could potentially have a little over $60 in store credit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment