Saturday, January 24, 2015

Snowy Saturday

I woke up to a couple inches of new snow this morning.  The temperature was hovering right around freezing, so it was that heavy, wet snow that sticks to everything.  It's really pretty, so I should take a picture so I can post it here. 

Well, I'd post a picture if I knew how.  I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post pictures on the blog yet. I've been told by my tech savvy son that it is easy to post pictures and to add hyperlinks, so I'll have to take time to play with it soon.  

In the meantime, back to the snow.  I normally don't care for snow, because it is cold, and you have to shovel it off the driveway and the walkways so that you can get out of the house. And it is cold.  And it clogs up traffic because people don't know how to drive in it.  And it's cold.  And people have accidents and get hurt, either shoveling or driving.  And did I mention that it's cold?

As you've probably figured out by now, I am NOT a winter person.  I love the warm weather and long days of summer. But since I live in the Northeast part of the country, snow is a fact of life, and you have to learn to deal with it.  I actually learned to drive in November in the snow.  I'm not bragging, but I'm actually a good winter driver.  Maybe 'experienced' is a better term.    

So I had no problem getting up this morning and venturing out. I belong to a rowing group who practices every Saturday morning at 7.  I'm not a competitive rower, I just do it to stay in shape and because it is so beautiful to row on the river.  But at practice today, I somehow got myself talked into participating in an indoor erg race next weekend.  'Erging' is using a rowing machine, or ergometer.   We can't row on the water this time of year in this part of the country because water is hard at the normal winter temperatures around here ;->.  So the rowing teams practice indoors using the ergs.  And since we can't compete outdoors , they set up races indoors.  I'm signed up to do a 1 kilometer piece and the relay race where each person only has to do 500 meters.   I'll let you know how it works out.  Here's hoping I don't disgrace myself and my team! 

1 comment:

  1. I HATE snow and cold as much or more than you do. And my hubby is moving from the warm sunny south central Texas to the frozen tundra of Illinois, Dekalb. I told him I would move with him but I didn't have to be happy about it. I also told him he could find me at spring thaw as I was hibernating in my studio until then. lol. The rowing erg sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete