Friday, February 17, 2023

Project Quilting 14.4 or How Harry Potter became The Last Unicorn

I was intrigued when I saw the subject of this week's challenge.  I have always loved reading.  I can get lost in a book and hours go by without me even realizing it.  My favorite genre is Science Fiction and Fantasy. 

Because I wanted to continue making baby quilts for the challenges, I tried to think of a traditional quilt block that I could associate with a book that I'd read.  Nothing jumped out at me, so I grabbed my copy of Maggie Malone's 5,500 Quilt Block Designs and started through the index.  I figured that there had to be at least one of the 5,500 quilt blocks that reminded me of a book!  

I actually found several that could work.  For example, 'Card Trick' reminded me of the Queen of Hearts in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  The problem was that I'm not sure that I ever read the book, or if I just remembered the Queen from the Disney movie!  The same issue came up with several other blocks - I was familiar with the books, but I had never actually read them.  

Then I found it!!! 'Harry's Star'!  I have read all of the Harry Potter books several times and I loved them.  My kids and I would anxiously wait for the next book in the series, and then pass them around.  It was really hard not to talk about the books until we had all read them!

Harry's Star is a directional block that uses two fabrics and a background so I originally thought about making it scrappy.  The problem with that was that I didn't want to waste time digging through my scrap bin for coordinating sets of scraps that were big enough.  Then I remembered that I had several fat eight packs that I had gotten from a Quilty Box subscription that I had before they suspended operations.  I grabbed one of those and did some quick calculations.  I could make four 8 inch blocks from each set of two fat eighths and some background fabric, so a 40 inch baby quilt was feasible from the fat eighth pack.

All the above happened on Sunday after the announcement of the challenge, so I was feeling optimistic about getting another baby quilt done.  That optimism was soon to change. 

On Monday morning, I got up and started cutting and sewing with absolutely no thought that I wouldn't be able to get this project done on time.  Sure, I knew that I had some events and a few other major time commitments this week, but I finished the other three, didn't I?

Remember how I said that the Harry's Star block is directional? It is a 4x4 block with a pinwheel in the center, 4 matching corners, and 4 half square triangles that complete the 4 point star.  


I don't know why I couldn't keep the Half Square triangles in the correct orientation.  I kept having to rip out seams and starting over.  After I realized that I had made four blocks in a mirror image of the correct orientation, I was ready to throw the whole project away! By the end of the day on Monday, I only had four blocks done correctly.  I was starting to doubt my block choice.   

My daughter asked me whether I was sure this was worth all the aggravation, and suggested that maybe I could turn one block into a potholder.  I resisted that suggestion, because I still had most of the week, and two of those days, I had nothing planned except sewing.  I could do this!

I put the blocks on my design wall for inspiration... only 18 more to go, only 16 more to go, etc.  When my daughter walked by and pointed out that two of the blocks had mistakes, I said some not very nice words.  About the third time I had to rip and resew the same block, I said some VERY not nice words!

My daughter kept walking by and muttering 'potholder'... I pointedly ignored her.  

Reality set in on Wednesday afternoon.  I only had one more full day to finish the top, sandwich and quilt it and sew on the binding.  Even with the few hours that I had available on the other days, it just wasn't going to happen.  I really wanted to keep making baby quilts, but realized that with all the time constraints this week, I made the wrong choice with Harry's Star.  

So, I unenthusiastically started making a Plan B.  Fewer blocks, set off with lots of background?  I wasn't happy with that option, because I really liked the pattern that formed when the blocks were set side by side.  In the end, I decided to put the Harry's Star quilt aside and come up with another idea.  

I was browsing my bookshelves for another idea when I found a copy of one of my favorite books, Peter S. Beagle's novel The Last Unicorn.  OOH, now there was something I could work with! Could I do an applique of a unicorn on a smaller project? How about machine embroidery?  Both of those ideas had their own special problems, but I really thought that I had the solution. I went to bed still thinking about the issue.  In the middle of the night, I woke up and realized that I probably had a piece of novelty fabric with unicorns on it.  I had been collecting novelty fabrics for an I Spy quilt, and I was pretty sure that the U fabric I had was either umbrellas or unicorns.  Since I knew that I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep until I knew for sure which it was, I got up and went into my sewing room. I  rummaged through the bin of novelties and AH HA! Unicorns!  The fabric piece was only about 9 inches square, so it was going to have to be a smaller project. 

I had some commitments on Thursday, but was able to spend a few hours making... yes, a potholder. (sigh)



 






1 comment: