Saturday, January 7, 2023

Project Quilting 14.1 - The First One

I was heading to bed on Sunday night when I realized that it was the first Sunday in January, and Project Quilting was starting!  On Challenge weeks, I am normally chomping at the bit, refreshing my screen every few minutes while I wait for 1 p.m. Central time.  But this year, I just didn't put two and two together until about 11 p.m. (Eastern). I considered just waiting until morning to check, but my curiosity got the better of me.

As I was heading for the computer, I thought that maybe Trish and Beth would wait a week to post a challenge, since January 1 was a holiday.  But nope - there it was!

I have to admit that the theme this time really stumped me. ONE??  One what?  One block?  One item?  Once in a lifetime? None of the examples that were given were particular enlightening to me.  I slept fitfully while my brain stewed on it all night long.  Note to self - next time, don't wait until bedtime to check the theme of a challenge!!

Somewhere in the middle of the night, it occurred to me that there were other examples of 'the first one' that I could use.  The first item in a sequence, for example.  That really got me thinking (and NOT sleeping)!  For example. there are many different alphabets - Greek, Roman, Cyrillic, etc.  and each one has a different symbol for the first letter.  Maybe I could do something that took each 'A' and applique them on to ... something?  

I considered making 'one' single block and using the different "A"s on it, and turning it into yet another potholder or mug rug, but that idea really didn't appeal to me.  For the past few PQ seasons, I have made a LOT of potholders and mug rugs.  There is nothing wrong with that, and sometimes, that is the only thing that I have time to make.  But I'm craving something different this year.  I decided that I really want to make a series of baby quilts.  I'm putting that here, realizing that I may not be able to make a baby quilt for each challenge, but I'm going to try.

OK, back to "one".  As my brain churned while I was trying to sleep, another idea popped in.  Another 'first in a sequence' is the first element in the periodic table - Hydrogen.  The symbol for hydrogen is the letter H. There is a traditional quilt block that is an H, and it is very easy to make! And before you ask, yes, yes I am a nerd!  I freely admit it.  I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, but my minor was Chemistry.  

So having decided what direction my project was going to take, I finally managed to get to sleep!  

The next day,  I opened my computer and found the copy of EQ7 that I occasionally use.  I had several commitments this past week, so I knew that the quilt would have to be quick and easy.  After playing around with H blocks, I came up with a setting that I liked, and that wouldn't take too long. 

I went digging in my stash and found a Fisher-Price Stacker (set of 10" squares) from  Riley-Blake Fabrics and decided that this would be the perfect way to use some of it.  I also discovered that I had some 2 1/2" strips left from a white Kona Cottons fabric roll that I had used in a previous project so I used them in the H blocks and for the sashing.  

Normally, I would use more of the 2 1/2  inch strips for the binding, but I really didn't want a white binding.  Some of the 10" squares were striped, so I cut them into four 2 1/2 inch rectangles each and stitched them together to make the binding.   A quick all-over meander on my Bernina B590, an evening sitting in front of the TV stitching on the binding and it's done!  With a whole day and a half to spare!


My 'H' baby quilt





 

3 comments: